Electromagnetic fields (EMFs) are made up of electric and magnetic fields, which are situated perpendicular to one another and travel together in the form of an invisible wave.
While EMFs have been around since the sun and even the earth naturally emits some EMFs, the human race is being exposed to previously unheard-of levels of artificial EMFs in the year 2016, and the problems keep growing with the technologies that we now enjoy and have become completely dependent on.
Every one of us is now exposed to man-made EMFs that are classified into two categories by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences.
- Low-frequency EMF radiation – they are non-ionizing radiation that bears lower frequencies than visible light. Examples include high-performing computers, smart meters, microwave ovens, cell phones, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, MRIs and power lines.
- High-frequency EMF radiation – they are ionizing radiation that bears higher frequencies than visible light. Examples include X-rays, Gamma rays, and UV light.
Danger of EMFs
There is no question that too much exposure to high-frequency radiation can create health problems like being in the sun too long. We get sunburned from the prolonged UV exposure. There is a good reason that the technician asks if we are pregnant before getting X-Rays. This is because X-Rays can cause harm to the growing baby.
The effects of low-frequency EMF radiation are more controversial for many reasons.
First, symptoms due to use of microwave ovens, smart meters, WiFi, cell phones, etc. can be very subtle at first or not noticeable at all, but they may become serious problems over time rather than immediately.
Second, the electronic and telecommunication industries have strong financial interests in consumers not being aware of potential harm from using their products, while they have a major conflict against consumers becoming aware of health effects from EMF exposure.
A meta-analysis of cell phone studies revealed that the most of studies funded by the non-cell phone industry indicated a higher risk of brain tumors among cell phone users, while the majority of studies funded by the cell-phone industry showed that cell phone users had a lower risk of brain tumors! Despite this result, The International Agency for Research on Cancer has already categorized low-frequency EMF radiation as a possible carcinogen (in a Group 2B).
However, the danger of EMF exposure isn’t limited to cancer. Becuase our nervous system and heart run on electricity, EMF interference is particularly risky for our heart and brain function.
A study shows that EMFs can directly change the behavior of tissues and cells alike, and harm our bone marrow, blood, DNA, reproductive system, cardiovascular system and endocrine system.
Symptoms related to EMF exposure
The symptoms experienced by people who are exposed to prolonged high levels of low-frequency EMFs include:
- Memory loss
- Adrenal Fatigue
- Hormonal imbalances
- Higher risk of cancer
What can you do to reduce exposure to man-made EMFs?
While it is almost impossible to completely avoid EMFs, there are some steps to help reduce the exposure.
- Keep your devices (cell phones, tablets, computers, and other wi-fi or blue tooth devices) away from your body. This means to use of headphones for long conversations instead of placing the phone right by the ear and to avoid placing your cell phone in your pocket, especially close to breasts and groins.
- Stick to hardwire connections rather than Wi-fi.
- Sleep away from the source of the energy (breaker), electronics (router, etc) and/or large appliances (refrigerator, etc) that run overnight, even though the appliance is on the other side of the wall.
- Keep your electronic devices switched off when they are not in use.
Also, avoid living near strong sources of EMF radiation such as smart meters, power lines, radio stations, etc.
How to mitigate the negative effect of EMF exposure?
- Grounding can neutralize the positive ions emitted by EMFs. You can be grounding/earthing by walking barefoot or sitting on a sandy beach.
- Expose yourself to negative ions like waterfalls, and ocean. Other nature’s negative ion source is a Himalayan salt lamp.
- Nutrition! Antioxidants such as Vitamin C, E, Zinc, Turmeric, and more can help protect tissues and cells in the body from EMF radiation damages.
You can not completely avoid things that affect negatively in our body. But you can at least be conscious of things in life. And don’t forget to be grateful for nature protect you, aside from being aware of the EMF dangers.
Especially, when you are in the middle of a difficult time in healing, you want to consider those EMF radiation exposures as one of the causes for slowing down the process. The system and the function of the body are too weak to either eliminate toxins or regenerate the new tissues.
It could be a challenge but baby steps!